Wednesday, July 25, 2012

spare change to the homeless

I was walking around a night market last night in Bangkok and I noticed many people begging. Their plight has always pained me - I always begin thinking of the unfairness of life. 


How life is not fair, its just not, and how shitty that the unfairness is. Its just not right. I'm practically a Buddhist, but that karma argument - that homeless people have bad karma and hence somewhat deserve their fate - is bullshit. Deep down, proponents of that argument are trying to come to terms with life's unfairness. They are trying to make it fair. But its not, its just not. 


So anyways, in Thailand they have like 50 different coins. A 1/4 penny, a 1/2 penny, a 1 penny, a nickel, a dime. I am walking around in this night market loaded with coins. And coins, I mean, I'm a guy - I put coins in my wallet and then my wallet gets all fat and then I sit on my wallet and then my butt is slightly higher on one side, its just annoying.


Boom - epiphany. Why not give my spare change to the 
homeless? So for the rest of the night I gave my change to the homeless. 


And yes, about 10% of the homeless will use my money for drugs, maybe more than that. But that's not the point. There will always be people who siphon away the effects of your kind actions. But you shouldn't let them prevent you from being kind. Do you feel good after being kind? Do you feel that you have done something worthwhile? Yes, most of the time, you do. Kindness feels good.


And FUCK that argument that any kindness that makes you happy is ultimately selfish and unworthy. Fuck that argument. I'm doing something good for others and dammit, I should feel good about that. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will immediately snatch your rss feed as I can not to find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.