Monday, October 29, 2012

quotes are my favs

I even used to read a quote book before bed - those little snippets of wisdom from cool people always seemed like the best way to end the day.  I try incorporate quotes into other aspects of my life as well. For example, every weekend I send out an email with a quote to around 40-50 people reminding them about our weekly meditation group on Mondays at 8pm. It sounds like some people really like the quotes I include! Haha, I think some people like reading the quotes even more than coming to meditation! But that is OK. If something is being learned, thought about, or considered then  my emails are a complete success. I'm actually just kinda glad I get to share my favorite quotes with others and have them like them.

So it occurred to me that I could write about these quotes, explaining why I chose them and just what I was thinking. This week's quote was:












Now think about that again: You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

I don't really know why this is so. Perhaps if you try to look for a perfect person you'll always be frustrated because they'll always let you down. It doesn't seem fair to them either, to expect them to be perfect, or even to be someone else than who they are. Their them. Your you. Wanting someone to be something other than their natural selves, I don't know, it just seems like things will chafe eventually. And hell, since all humans desire connection with others, like real heart-to-heart-deep-friendship connection, it seems that this won't come about any other way then by accepting this imperfect person just as they are. Not wanting, or expecting, them to anything other but their natural selves. 

And I'm starting to see (because I'm working on this too ya know) that when I let go of, or rather, when I realize the person I am with is not perfect but full of strengths and weakness, I realize I am full of strengths and weakness, and I am more able to accept both of us as we are. 

No comments: