Monday, October 8, 2012

Compassionate Enjoyment


In meditation practice it is sometimes assumed one must bear the suffering of others. Jesus on the cross and burning monks images come to mind. By dying, they symbolize the ultimate expression of compassion. I think some people, me included, at times feel this as a great responsibility. Opening yourself to another’s dukkha can be challenging. This means it is even more important that you learn to enjoy yourself for others’ sake! If you cannot appreciate the world around you, how can you help others appreciate the world around them?

Question: How do I best take care of myself?
Answer: By taking care of others.
Question: How do I take care of others?
Answer: By taking care of yourself.
Attributed to Mel Weitsman

I often end meditation with a prayer –

May I love others, and so love myself.
May I love myself, and so love others.

Enjoy yourself for others, have fun and be happyyyy!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats good, your blog is cool, i like it. Thanks for the efforts my friend.

JAred said...

Why thanks for letting me know. Encouragement is underestimated.