Tuesday, July 10, 2012

written reply to a friend's question

Eimi - I write these words with care. Last night you asked me a question; some sort of reply popped into my mind this morning. I believe the question you asked was : What is the basis of your ego? We were talking about happiness at that time. We were expressing our viewpoints on the matter. So your question, the way I interpreted it, was : What is the basis for your viewpoints regarding happiness? I now answer in pencil because I stumble over the spoken word. (I wrote her a written reply, except for what is in the parenthesis, this is what I wrote)

4 years ago I stumbled upon meditation and awareness, kindness and compassion in the framework of Zen Buddhism. In Buddhism, its not enough to think about happiness. That won't do. One has to practice happiness, day after day, year after year. So 4 years ago I began practicing happiness.

The basis for my viewpoints regarding happiness lies in the fruits of my own efforts. I am a happier person than I was 4 years ago. I'm just more able to be myself and be OK with that.

I would like to express my thoughts further but I sense a conclusion rapidly approaching, these words will have to suffice!

Hope that your question is somewhat answered and that you have a great day!!!

No comments: